Day 1 in Hanoi



And here we go.
I booked my first night at a hotel.



Basically, I was working the days before on a hectic schedule,
and I was taking an early morning flight,

Bobs was supposed to come to my house and go to the airport with me so we could spend more time tgt,
but he woke up late because he went drinking with his friends, *inserts angry face*

Called him many times but he did not pick up and I almost thought he would not wake in time,
In the end he woke up, but we had very little time to spend, like about an hour only at the airport,
I was not angry, but I was so so so sad when I was on my way to the airport, I feel like a deflated balloon.

HAHA I think I was being an overly attached gf, because nearing to my departure time, 
I kept asking can we sit there for awhile, can we sit here for a while more..and refuse to leave the gate..


So I reached Hanoi, got myself a 3G card, and took a bus to the city for 4 USD.
(It's called the Vietnam Airline shuttle, but it is not owned and has no association with any airlines)
That is by far the best way to get from the airport to Hoan Kiem district.

I could have taken a cab for 20 USD but no, 
I only brought 350 USD and that is for all my accommodation, food and transport for 7 days.

I wanted to take a local bus of $0.30 USD but hell I did not find the terminal and I am glad I didn't.
(It was sardine packed and takes more than 2 hours)

On the bus, I met a 19 year old Singaporean boy who is on his own for 2 weeks, 
he said he just wanted to try something new before he enlist for NS, good for you boy

Moving on, Hoan Kiem district is very concentrated and bustling with life at ever corner.
When I just reached, I felt very disconnected from the city because there was so much chattering going on,
Crossing the roads was also a feat, it takes a lot of courage and good judgement


Reached Thaison Grand hotel and they were overbooked, hotel manager asked the concierge boy to send me to another hotel on bike.

This concierge boy is called Rocky and he soon became one of my favourite people in Hanoi.

Then I met Thanh.

He offered me a fruit. I am not sure what it is, but I took one anyway.
YES I AM THE DEFIANT KID WHO TAKES FOOD FROM STRANGERS AND FOLLOW THEM 

haha kidding, I trust my guts. And if my guts are wrong then too bad for me.
We ate our food silently, then he started speaking in Vietnamese,
Then I told him I am not local, and we talked a lot more after that.

Thanh is a final year law student who is waiting for graduation.

We walked around Hoan Kiem lake and I randomly asked if he has a motorbike since everybody has one.
he said yes but he did not bring it out today,
And he continued by asking if I would like to wait for him while he go home to get his bike,
then we can go around the city.

I was thrilled, I said yes!

Like I said, YES I AM THE DEFIANT KID WHO TAKES FOOD FROM STRANGERS AND FOLLOW THEM 


We met at this thatched house opposite the Hoan Kiem lake. 






























Zoomed around the city from Hoan Kiem to Westlake to Long Bien bridge which was pretty nice.
Also covered the perimeter of all the museums which I had zero interest in.

We had coconut drink and Bo Bia the old school way.





Then he brought me to this famous ice-cream shop with lots of locals, and bought us ice cream.
We came just 5 minutes before the shop closes, it was near West Lake.





Ya and actually this Thanh is quite handsome one.